Most people spend their time metal detecting on dry land, but with oceans, lakes, creeks, ponds, and rivers all over the place, you should really know something about waterproof metal detectors.
A waterproof metal detector falls into two categories: water proof coil and completely submersible. A third, less robust category is the water-resistant metal detector.
Water-Resistant Metal Detector: Every metal detector is water resistant. This simply means a few slight splashes of water or light most won’t do any damage.
Waterproof Metal Detector: This type of metal detector has at least a waterproof search coil and cable connector They can be placed completely in the water and won’t allow water to get inside the coil and short out the electronics. This kind of detector is ideal for searching the shallow area of beaches and lakes as well as creek beds, streams, and ponds. They may also include a water proof connector and control box to allow detecting in the rain. However, to detect to any great depth you’ll need a fully submersible metal detector.
Fully Submersible Metal Detectors: These detectors are designed for deep water where a mask, snorkel, or SCUBA gear is used. They can be placed completely in the water and connected safely to waterproof headphones.
Depth: Waterproof coils and fully submersible units are designed with a specific depth in mind. This is generally in a range between 5 and 10 feet, but a few models are designed for safe operation down to 200 feet (deeper than the recreational SCUBA diver can go.) This design parameter is important because the water pressure pushes harder against the unit as you go deeper. Eventually, water could start to leak in. To know the limit of your detector, read the manual, packaging, or manufacturer’s website data to check for your specific model.
Salt Water: If you want to use your metal detector in salt water, make sure the model you choose supports that. If it doesn’t, you may not get accurate readings and could damage your detector.
Technology: The technology used in waterproof metal detectors is the same as for land: VLF (Very Low Frequency) and PI (Pulse Induction.) They each have their advantages.
About Prices: Remember that these are underwater metal detectors which are designed to be waterproof. Their electronics need to handle mineralized soils/sands, and both fresh or saltwater. Those customizations will cause the prices to be higher that land-only units.
PI Detectors (great ground penetration for use in mineralized soils and sands, but pricey)
wedigout Metal Detector Fully Waterproof, Handheld Pulse Induction with Vibration LED
- Fully waterproof, 100 feet
- Pulse Induction
- Automatic tuning
- Sealed construction and stainless steel hardware
- Low battery sensor
- Belt ring and wrist strap
- Pulse Induction Vibration and Light
- Overall Length: 17 inches (43 cm) Coil Diameter: 4 inches (10 cm)
- Weight: 1 lb. (450 grams)
- Uses one standard 9 volt
- Wrist Strap
- Warranty: 1 year
- Made in the USA
Garrett ATX Top of the line and EXPENSIVE!
- 12″ Double D coil
- Land headphones (waterproof headphones sold separately)
- Soft storage/travel case
- Garrett Detector Sling
- AA alkaline, rechargeable batteries and charger
- 8″ epoxy-filled search coil and custom headphones
- Submersible to 200 feet
- Adjustable Audio Threshold
- Adjustable Discrimination
- Discrete Trash Elimination
- All Metal Deep Seeking Mode
VLF Detectors (Excellent technology, varying depth ratings, much more reasonable prices)
- Garrett Z Lync wireless headphones system
- Enhanced Z-Lynk Pinpointer, integrates with included MS-3 Headphones
- Wireless Z-Lynk MS-3 Headphones Included
- Enhanced Detection Depth
- True All-Metal Mode
- LED Backlit Screen
- Adjustable Ground
- Waterproof to 10 feet
- Freshwater / Saltwater Search Modes
- Notch Discrimination
- 8 Sensitivity Adjustments
- 8.5x 11″ Double D Coil
- WATERPROOF TO 10 FEET OR 3 METERS
- Use in either fresh and saltwater
- Will ground balance to saltwater
- Uses Garrett MS-2 Headphones
- Fully submersible up to 3 meters (10 ft)
- Protected from dust intrusion
- Notch Discrimination
- Search Modes – All Metal / Field / Park / Beach
- Lighting for Night & Underwater Use
- LCD Backlight
- Keypad Backlight
- LED Flashlight
Fully Submersible Metal Detector Depth Chart
(NOTE: Double-check against manufacturer’s data in case it changed over time)
|King Detector||PI-IKing – wedigout 100 Foot Metal Detector||PI||100 ft|
|Treasure Products||Vibra Tector 740||PI||100 ft|
|Garrett||Sea Hunter MK II||PI||200 ft|
|Garrett||AT Max||VLF||10 ft|
|Garrett||AT Pro||VLF||10 ft|
|Nokta Makro||Simplex+||VLF||10 ft|
Add-on accessories for metal detecting in water
In addition to your waterproof metal detector, you should have a waterproof pinpointer, a scoop or digging tool, and a mesh bag to hold what you find so you can keep your hands free for metal detecting.